Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell
If you watch Saturday Night Live, you will know that it is hard for me to type the name of the book without cracking up!
We have a book club at work that meets every month. In honor of the Oscars in February, we decided to read this book since the movie is nominated for several awards. First, let me say, this is an easy read...you could finish it in an afternoon.
This book is about a 16 year old girl named Ree that lives in the Ozark Mountains of Southwest Missouri. Woodrell, the author, lives in West Plains. It was easy to visualize the locations, etc. of this book because I grew up in this area. She is a high school dropout who has the responsibility of two younger brothers because her dad has jumped bail and her mom has gone looney tunes. The book tells her story as she searches for her crank-cooking (crystal meth) father and the run-ins she has with her relatives in order to uncover the truth. All in all, it was an ok book. I am ready to watch the movie to see if it breathes a little more life into the story.
Overall grade: B
PS....I think a little of my dislike for this book might be because I read it during the first week we were snowed in!
No comments:
Post a Comment